Friday, June 13, 2008

On the Road Again...

Road trips are one of my favorite things. Its funny that I have such an awful driving anxiety and I haven't driven in at least four years... but when it comes to riding in the car, I love to kick off my shoes, crank up the radio, and sit back and take in the scenery. I love road trips.

The drive to Abilene isn't quite a road trip since it is only a four hour drive from Austin, but anyone with kids knows that a four drive can feel like forever when the kids are screaming, "Are we there yet?!?!" or trying desperately to get out of their car seat. Not to mention the four thousand bathroom stops and snack stops despite the fact that we began the trip with hundreds of snacks.

But at least road trips are the fool proof way to zone the kids completely out when nap time comes around.

The girls were troopers, though. I have to give them credit for that. We are trying to get them used to the whole road trip thing, since both Will and I love them so much. When Will and I were in England, back when we were first dating, we did road trips every weekend.

Granted, road trips in England and Wales are a little different than road trips in the US, as Great Britain is soooo small and road trips don't really exceed six hours, since that is practically all it takes to get from one side of England to the other... but the point is, every weekend, rain or shine (mostly rain) we piled into Will's Peugeot and went places. From the Lake District to Brighton, Northern Wales to Stonehenge, Bath to London, we were in the car with the music cranked up, snack wrappers littering our feet, and our cares to the wind as we traveled though the countryside.

The drive from Austin to Abilene is all country, with a few old cowboy towns in between ranches and farms. I'm not much of a cowgirl, being a beach-loving California girl, but even I have to admit that the countryside in Texas is beautiful. It is exactly as you would imagine Texas would be, if you have never been here. You can practically see the cowboys from the olden days riding their horses through the land.

Its nothing but blue skies, trees and grassy fields. And a lot of cows and horses, which the kids loved.

And the clouds were full of flying sea turtles, running dogs, elephants with their trunks up (thats good luck!!) and cars racing along the sky as we drove. I've always loved looking up at the clouds and finding all the pictures made from the white fluffiness.

So now our road trip is over and we have settled into the last leg of our journey, which is the unpacking of our moving boxes, the setting up of our apartment, and settling into life in our new town. I'm eager for this to be over and for life to get back to the routines I'm familiar with. In the meantime, I'm still just chugging along.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures. I enjoy a good road trip too but it's not quite the same with the young ones, I agree.

Have fun getting settled! You'll be back to your routine in no time. :)

Carry Grace said...

Great pics! I'm glad you made it to your new home!

Rosebud Collection said...

Love the pictures..Glad you are there..Try and take it slow..with the little ones I know it is hard.

Janna said...

Yay! The worst is over.

Funny that you love road trips. I used to love road trips too, til I had kids. Now I dread them because I don't get to drive. Instead, my husband takes over that task, and I get to manage the fussy kids, trying (unsuccessfully, usually) to keep everyone happy at the same time.

Your photos are great. I once lived in San Angelo, a little south of Abilene, for a couple of months. I remember landscapes full of mesquite trees and the Concho River. Oh, and huge prickley pear cactus.

Marie said...

I'm glad you enjoy road trips because I can't stand to be in the car for longer than an hour. Something about not being anywhere near a restroom just kinda freaks me out a little. I sound like an old lady, but oh well!

Good to see you've gotten over the hard part-I can't wait to get there!

Oh Mandie said...

Eeeep! I abolutely LOATHE driving too! I'd much rather be the passanger!! Theres just something so relaxing about a long drive with music and fresh air. Lovely pics!

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip to take! I bet the girls had a great time too! And your pictures are great! Enjoy your time together as a family!

Candice said...

Your England road trips sound amazing!! Good luck with getting all settled in!

gorgeousredhead said...

That sounds completely beautiful, I'm envious of all that land at your fingertips! I know you and the girls will be having too much fun :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...