Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vote


I'm not a political person. In truth, I hate politics. Everything about politics. Everyone just always seems so crooked in my opinion. Everyone is so ruthless. And all my memories of Mr. Davey and Mr. Abe's high school government classes have left me sputtering over the whole electoral college and whether my tiny, insignificant voice matters at all.

I still exercise my right to vote. Not because I feel my vote matters in the grand scheme of things, but because I've always been moved by the stories of the National Woman Suffrage Association, and all the hard work put forth by strong women like Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, resulting in the 19th Amendment in 1920, giving women the right to vote.

This is my third election since I turned 18 and registered. I've voted each time. Will has been sitting back, anxiously waiting for months, annoyed that he can't do anything to contribute his voice, since he is a British citizen. He, unlike me, loves everything about politics, has watched every single debate, watched political documentary after political documentary, and has read candidate biographies, wanting to know everything about everyone.

Even the girls know who the candidates are, and Gracie is equally excited today, though she confuses the word "president" with "present" so her excitement is a little different than ours.

Fingers crossed that this day ends with us having a wonderful, intelligent leader, a good example for Americans across the country. I've done my voting, got my 'I VOTED' sticker, and now I'm just sitting back and waiting. I do have say that this has been the first year that I've actually had butterflies in my stomach come Election Day. I'm pretty nervous, as I wait for the outcome of this election.

May the best leader win!

8 comments:

Chichiboulie said...

all of europe has butterflies with you, awaiting the outcome!

hope gracie isn't too disappointed in the end! :D

Karen Faulkner said...

I just got back from voting. Like you, I avoid politics as much as possible but have voted in every election since I was old enough. It is a day to celebrate our democracy as much as any one individual winner.

Anne said...

I voted earlier today, midmorning when the lines were really short. I always feel so powerful when voting. That feeling usually continues the rest of the day, until they start showing all the election returns on TV. Then I realize that everyone I wanted to win ended up losing and I feel like a dummy for once again thinking that my values would be reflected in my government. But I always go back and do it again. Civic duty and hope and all of that. Here's hoping that this year I'm on the winning side. :)

Bare Bottoms Boutique said...

I hate politics too, but I'll be voting! Good for you for exercising your right to vote!

Oh Mandie said...

Just got back from voting - and getting my free "I Voted" coffee from Starbucks!

Hoping for a positive outcome!

jeweledrabbit said...

I hate politics too, but I vote anyway.

Marcyanna said...

I am so right with you! I also don't like politics but because of history & the suffrage movement, I feel like I can't afford not to vote. My husband too sits back & watches the whole thing nervously as he is a Canadian citizen & can't vote either. I am glad to say I can & did vote today. It was definitely an exciting day!

Dana said...

Marisa, I couldn't say what you have any better. It echos my own feelings to much. I did vote and I did take the time to learn about the issues that I would be voting on - quietly, in my home. I don't voice my opinion on things that concern me politically but I know many who do. I am grateful to be able to cast my ballot and exercise the privilege. I agree with it being a day to celebrate democracy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...