Monday, January 12, 2009

Marisa and the Magical Socks

The other night, my feet were cold, so I went to my closet in search of warm socks. As I was rummaging for a matching pair, I pulled out and admired my most favorite pair of socks in the whole world: my fabulous Potluck socks which I had bought from the MacKenzie-Childs store in New York City.

For some reason, I've been saving these socks for a special occasion. What kind of special occasion requires fancy little harlequin socks, is still unknown to me, but I held onto the socks, still packaged together and unworn, just the same.

And as I did every time I went sock searching, I finished admiring my fancy socks and put them away, pulling out a boring white pair of sweat socks instead.

But then I thought, "What the heck am I waiting for? I bought these socks TEN years ago and they have been in my sock drawer just waiting to be worn ever since."

That was when I did the unthinkable - pulled apart the wrapping and put on my socks - my fabulous, fantastical, magical MacKenzie-Childs socks - for no special reason at all.

My feet have never been so cute.

I don't know why I saved them for so long. Was the wait even worth it? Probably not.

But I climbed onto my bed and just sat there for about 3 minutes, smiling at my adorable feet and my fancy socks, and I can tell you this: on a regular old weekday night, with the kids tucked up in bed and Will watching TV in the living room, it did feel pretty special to wear fabulous socks for no reason at all.

xoxo,

20 comments:

kiddlebug said...

I have a red plaid pair that I call my Christmas socks.

Lauren Alexander said...

those are some socks! I like them. I'd wear them whenever possible :-)

Karen Faulkner said...

It's the little things in life! Fabulous socks.

Cindys Creative Crochet said...

Having time to yourself when you have kids IS a special occasion. Enjoy them as part of your YOU time!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

LMAO!!!! How cute and fun!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I don't have special socks, but I am always buying tights and then not wearing them because I'm afraid I'll get a run and then they'll be ruined. trying to get over it, because what good do they do in my drawer?

Tatyana said...

aww those are cute. I love funky colored socks. I have all sorts of socks with piggies and kittens and whatever. I'm sure people look at me weird when they notice but who cares :P

Oh Mandie said...

Kick up those colorful heels girl!

Life is too short to let awesome socks sit in the drawer!

April said...

You are a little coo-coo, but those are some really cute socks!

Lorissa J. Longfellow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Giggleberry (Amy) said...

everyone needs a little bit Fabulous - ness in their day.... even if it's fabulous socks!

Lorissa J. Longfellow said...

LOL Sometimes you make me wonder. Like, what were you waiting for?

I love fun socks.

TexNan said...

I'm coveting those socks! Just don' be comin' down Texas way with 'em on. You might wind up minus a really cool pair.

Momma J said...

I love your little story - and I love the socks!!

Leslie Gidden said...

Now there are some fancy feet! You GO Marissa's feet! Thanks for making me smile!

Warmly,
Leslie

Janna said...

You seriously cracked me up! That sounds exactly like something I'd do...buy something really neat and then hoard it forever and never use it. I'm trying to get over those tendencies too.

Janna said...

Love your socks, by the way!

Unknown said...

I'd probably never wear shoes again if I had socks like that!! Yay for the fun little things in life!!

Anna Blasco said...

Those are great socks.

Cathy said...

that's cool - glad you tore them open! that just happens to be one of my new year's resolutions - to use stuff that I have just sitting there being "saved" for some inknown occasion!

p.s. as an aside, your word verification for this comment is "glumped". Great word! I want to use it lol...but in what context?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...