Friday, October 16, 2009

Painting, Painting and Painting Some More

Where have I been lately? I've been in my new house, painting! Let me tell you a little something about me... I don't like painting rooms. In fact, I don't like painting at all. I'm a colored pencil lover for a reason: Anything that takes longer than .5 seconds to dry is not my friend.

But my new house needed a major paint job, so for the last few days, we've been painting, painting, painting. I was lucky that my mom came up from Austin to help me out (thanks, Mom!). She is my complete opposite when it comes to painting. She loves to slap new color on a wall; I am happy taping a room off so I don't have to touch the paint. In the case of my new house... I had to touch the paint. For four days straight. My poor arms... so tired!

We did a pretty good job, considering that the power and the water was turned off in the house. That didn't make things easy, but the companies couldn't get them on any sooner for us and I wanted to get the walls done before our truck load of furniture and boxes came in.

You're going to have to wait to see how it is decorated. A long time. The exciting thing about moving into a house double the size of your tiny apartment is having double the space to decorate and buy new furniture. The sad thing: spending all your money on the down payment, moving expenses and apartment lease-breaking, and not being able to decorate or buy new furniture right away. Oh well, I've got time.

Wanna see what has been done so far?

My Studio:

Priming and painting bead board walls is probably one of the most annoying things EVER. But worth it in the end! Look how cute:

My Living Room:

A cold (and dull) light grey.

I really, really, really wanted green walls... but I couldn't find a green I liked.

A bright and buttery yellow.

I like how cheerful it is with the yellow, but I'm a little unsure of the color as my furniture for this room is in Austin at my mom's, so I can't see how it looks. We haven't had a space big enough for the furniture since we moved from California and I'm so excited to finally have space for it again! Once I see how my furniture looks in here, I'll decide whether to try a different color or not. In the meantime... it is cheerful!

My Family Room:

Here is my green room!

It is actually much lovelier than this picture shows. And all molding and trim will be a bright white (they are mostly light yellow in this picture). And look: no Texas stars going around the ceiling! Man, those things were terrible to remove. I have slices in all of my fingers. Boo.
Annelie didn't even get into the paint. Or touch a wet wall. My little girl is growing up!

There is a lot more to do. Tons. But I'm going to take a nice break for a few days. My mother-in-law comes into town next week... she doesn't yet know that I'm putting her to work as I get the rest of my house finished! Surprise!

xoxo,

10 comments:

Diane Duda said...

Very nice! I can't imagine painting without running water. :(
I'd like to paint my living room this weekend but my husband doesn't seem quite as enthusiastic about it as I do.

Have a nice break. :)
xo
di

RetroRugrats said...

Wow! I love your new house. Can't wait to see what you do with the Strawberry Cottage and Butterfly Garden, that sounds like SO MUCH fun!!!!!!!!!! Have a nice weekend.

April said...

Looks great so far! Love the studio color!!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

Unknown said...

isn't it amazing what a can of paint can do to a room? your house looks great!

Alyssa S. said...

NICE! I like the yellow and the blue. They really warm the place up. I'm completely jealous of your hardwood floors. Someday I will have them...or at least I keep telling myself that. Nice job!!!

Natalie said...

I love the colors you picked out!!! I actually like painting. But only one or two rooms. Then my arm starts to fall off. Maybe if I worked out a little before I started. . .

I can't wait to see how you put everything together - no matter how long it takes :)

Carry Grace said...

Nice color choices! Painting walls is always hard work, but so worth the effort.

Amber Alvarez said...

I just painted my bedroom. Changed my life! I know it's a total pain but sooooo worth it. I love all these fun new colors. Are those painting masks or swine flu masks? ;)
They're very fashionable.

Pretty Things said...

Paint is such a great way to totally revamp a house! It completely rejuvenated my studio!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...