Monday, March 15, 2010

Oh, For the Love of... Cinderella.

So, it's no secret that my kids are heavily into dress up. I think pretty much all of the pictures I have of them, they're decked out in their Disney costume finest. And like most dress-up loving preschool-aged girls, its the Disney princess that seem to capture their hearts the most.

Annelie is currently obsessed with Cinderella. She watches the movie just about every day. She has passages memorized, she pretends that Gus Gus is her BFF, she sings and dances to Sing Sweet Nightingale. And, like other dress-up loving girls, she loves to pretend that she is part of the whole Cinderella world, as she plays.

Sweet isn't it?

But wait. I haven't told you everything.

Annelie doesn't love to pretend that she is the sweet, vulnerable, servant girl, being tormented by her evil step-mother and step-sisters, with only the birds and mice and her love for singing to get her through her hardships....

And she doesn't love to pretend that she is the fancy, fairy godmother gifted girl, who is lucky enough to snag the handsome prince while decked out in a gorgeous silvery blue gown and glass slippers...

Nope.

When 3-year-old Annelie dresses up and plays Cinderella, the characters that she loves to be the most are...

Anastasia and Drizella.

Yup. Cinderella's evil step-sisters. Are you surprised? If you have been following my blog for more than a week, probably not.

But seriously, that's pretty worrisome, isn't it? That of all the Disney characters, the ones that my daughter relates to the most are the villains. And while playing dress-up, Annelie gets into it... terrorizing the cats, the dog, her sister, the furniture, me...

Oh joy, I can't wait to get those phone calls from the principal, once Annelie starts kindergarten, letting me know just how evil-stepsister she's been to all of her classmates...

I'm such a lucky mom!

Today is Mama Drama Monday, over at The Mama Dramalogues.

Have a story about your kids to share? Hop on over and join us!


xoxo,

11 comments:

Winklepots said...

Um, Peri wants to be Veruca Salt for Halloween. She's been saying it for months. Uh yeah, she loves acting out all of her scenes from the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. *sigh*

Alyssa S. said...

HA! That SO does not surprise me. I'm thinking she's more Tasmanian Devil than either of the evil stepsisters :)

At least she doesn't make YOU the bad guy like Amelia makes me. I always get stuck playing Ursula. She's also fascinated by Dr Facilier from The Princess and the Frog and she says he is funny.

Unknown said...

Its probably not as uncommon as you might think...I know my daughter always goes for the villians in the stories...but rest assured, she is a perfect angel at school...its wierd, its kind of like she gets it all out at home and then is ready to behave for her teachers...not that I'm complaining..I just think its funny sometimes!

Unknown said...

Wink - Hahaha, Gracie is the one who loves (and often acts like) Veruca Salt!!

Alyssa - Tasmanian Devil... VERY appropriate description of Annelie!

Dee - That is such a relief!! My fingers are crossed that mine will be like yours, and be an angel in school!

Vanessa said...

She is CREATIVE! And nobody's gonna push her around! :-D There's some silver lining! :-)

DeanfromAustralia said...

If either of my kids start dressing up as Faruza Balk from "The Craft" or "American History X" then I'm in big trouble...

Rogue Wild said...

my son loves to be the villians ... they fascinate him for some reason ...

Anne said...

Well, of COURSE she wants to be the step-sisters! They get to be naughty and have all the fun. Who wants to be the doormat who just keeps on taking it? Sure, she gets the prince in the end - but think of all the fun she missed in the meantime.

Sara said...

How funny! She sounds like quite a handful!

Lori P said...

That kid's got personality!! :) Mine did the same except it was boring old Cinderella.

D said...

HA! This post cracks me up. My daughter always plays the princess but she yells at all her imaginary friends and bosses them around. I'm like...okay, when does a princess do that? Maybe she's been watching the step sisters too, although her favorite disney princess is belle. She calls her baby brother 'the beast.' Not surprised! ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...