Thursday, December 16, 2010

Make it: Handmade Note Card Set

Gracie wanted to make something super spiffy for her kindergarten teacher for Christmas, and we decided a handmade note card set would be the perfect gift.

So we pulled out some watercolors, scrapbook paper, tape, and a hole puncher and went to town!

This project is quick and easy (quick after the watercolors dry, of course) and we ended up with a super cute and colorful result!

Materials:

  • Watercolor paper and paints (and salt for cool technique!)
  • Card stock (we used white for the blank note cards, colored for the note card mats, and one 12x12 inch piece for the card portfolio
  • Ribbon
  • Double stick tape
  • Hole punch
  • Paper cutter or scissors
  • Envelopes (you can buy these at office supply shops)


Step One: Paint!


Gracie mostly painted abstracts which were then sprinkled with salt for a cool effect.

Step Two: Make Note cards

After the paint is dry, cut the watercolors down to a size that can be used on the front of a note card.

Cut white card stock to fit into your envelopes. (ours were aprox 4in x 6 in)

Cut colored card stock or scrapbook paper to fit on front of white card.

Attach watercolor to front of colored paper.


To Make Portfolio

Step Three:
Fold Card Stock!


Begin with 12 x 12 inch card stock. Mine is double sided so the inside is colorful, too.

I also cut out a 12 x 1 inch strip from an alternating paper to embellish the front of the portfolio.


Fold the bottom about halfway to make what will be the pocket to hold the cards and envelopes.


Fold sides of card stock so that the edges meet in the middle.

Step Four: Tape!

Me and double stick tape are BFFs. I taped along the edges (follow the arrows) so that the pocket will stay nice and neat when folded up.

Step Five: Hole Punch and Lace Up!

I added the 1 inch strip to the outside of the portfolio, attaching with my BFF (double stick tape)

Then I punched the outside 8 times.

Like so....

Then I added the finished note cards and envelopes to the pocket....


.... and laced the portfolio up with my ribbon.


I had a cello sleeve handy, so I stuck the portfolio in it for a nicely packaged look... but seriously, the cello sleeve isn't necessary.

Happy crafting!

xoxo,

7 comments:

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

What an adorable idea!! =)

Jonathon Arntson said...

J'adore!

Unknown said...

And now I know what we can do with the rest of our ice/snowed in afternoon. Thanks!

mshatch said...

I love doing crafts with my niece; this is a fun idea we may have to try. Thanks!

Meeling said...

How cute!
I love getting handmade gifts from the kids in my class...they truly are the best!

Badkitty Hawaii said...

very creative. my daughter is on school break and i was thinking of fun things we could do together. will definitely try it out this week. thanks

Alyssa S. said...

OK, you are KILLING me with your craftiness this week. You know at some point I will have to try this. Tell me though, what does the salt do???

OK you need to stop now before you make me look bad and you know...it's all about me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...