Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bringing Out the Big Guns

So. You know how I've been blogging about how I am ->thisclose<- to finishing this dang draft of The Book the Never Ends for, oh, I don't know, about a MONTH now? Well, I'm still only two measly scenes away from being done, but for some reason... it's just not happening.

This does not fly with me. I want to be done, dang it, and I want to be done NOW. So, much like the little donkey who needs a carrot on a handmade fishing pole dangled in front of his adorable little face (I really love donkeys), I needed to get myself a carrot.

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta = BEST CARROT EVER.

Show of hands - who has never read a book by Melina Marchetta?

*looks around*

Hey you with your hand up: Run, don't walk, to your nearest library and/or bookstore and check out/buy every book by Melina Marchetta you see. And that is an order!*

When it comes to Melina Marchetta's books, I am a fangirl of epic proportions. This book has been at the top of my to-read list since it came out, and yesterday at the bookstore I swear it sang to me like a siren luring my ship to crash upon the rocks (hmmmm... I wonder if my lame simile usage has something to do with why my book is taking so long to finish writing... the delete key is my BFF)

Actually, that's not far from how I feel after reading a Marchetta book - like I've been in a shipwreck. A really freakin' great shipwreck, but a shipwreck nonetheless. And since torturing myself with AMAZING books by Melina Marchetta is one of my favorite pastimes, I absolutely had to buy this one.

---------------------

Here is the Goodreads blurb -

Melina Marchetta's brilliant, heart-wrenching new novel takes up the story of the group of friends from her best-selling, much-loved book Saving Francesca - only this time it's five years later and Thomas Mackee is the one who needs saving.

Thomas Mackee wants oblivion. Wants to forget parents who leave and friends he used to care about and a string of one-night stands, and favourite uncles being blown to smithereens on their way to work on the other side of the world.

But when his flatmates turn him out of the house, Tom moves in with his single, pregnant aunt, Georgie. And starts working at the Union pub with his former friends. And winds up living with his grieving father again. And remembers how he abandoned Tara Finke two years ago, after his uncle's death.

And in a year when everything's broken, Tom realises that his family and friends need him to help put the pieces back together as much as he needs them.


----------------------

My bookshelf is thanking me. I, however, can not believe I have a Marchetta book in my house that I am not reading at this very moment. Clearly I am bringing out the big guns.

I WILL NOT READ THIS UNTIL MY BOOK THAT NEVER ENDS IS FINISHED.

*shuts off internet*

*opens Word*

*writes like a maniac*

Hope you are all having an awesome week, folks!

*if the first book by Melina Marchetta you pick up happens to be Jellicoe Road, do not return it to the library until after you have passed the first hundred pages. I did and lemme just say, BIG MISTAKE. So glad I gave it another go - this book has been my #1 most favorite book EVER WRITTEN (excluding Persuasion, naturally) since I first finished it a couple years ago. And it gets better with every read, I'm telling ya.

xoxo,

7 comments:

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I so want to read this book too. Of her others I really loved Saving Francesca, but also Jelicoe Road, and then the fantasy one was super good. Did you ever get into that? I can't decide. In any case, good mativation. I approve!!!

Unknown said...

Oh man, Tina, I LOVED Finnikin of the Rock. It took me a few chapters to get into it, but once I did, I tore through it.

Did you see there is another Lumatere book coming out in October? And another one after that! <3<3<3<3<3!!!

Laura Pauling said...

Go! Go! Go! Go! If I'm on that kind of deadline I won't read either but carrots help!

Alyssa S. said...

OK, so will you disown ME if I tell you I have never heard of this author? Personally, I think your epic novel needs a break...so I say read then come back to your story. Just sayin! You are burning yourself out which I think is the reason the last of your rewrite isn't gelling for you.

Unknown said...

GO YOU, Laura!!!

Alyssa - dude, I'm not at all surprised as the YA you read tends to be ... well, strictly my YA. But, if you have a hankering for fabulous YA books that grown-ups and kids will BOTH love, Melina is TOTALLY FANTASTIC.

As for burning myself out - yeah, probably, but I've also taken my sweet time by reading a LOT of books for fun when I probably should have been writing. And it's catching up to my self imposed deadline :D

Lacey J Edwards said...

I admit I've never read her books! I don't read a lot of contemporary, but some contemp books (THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE) will always be at the top of my favorites pile. I've heard great things about Jelicoe Road.

Good luck finishing this draft!

Unknown said...

Lacey - I LOOOOOVED The Sky is Everywhere!! <3<3<3!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...