Thursday, October 13, 2011

NaNo '11: 18 Days and Counting!

Let me get this straight - we are thirteen days into the month of October and I haven't yet posted about NaNoWriMo '11?

STOP THE INSANITY!

You see, I'm a mighty big lover of the month of November, which is the only month that brings 30 days of rabid writing craziness AND pumpkin pie at the same time.

But this year... I'm not quite ready for November to come. My BRING IT attitude when it comes to NaNo is more like, Um, could you just give me a few extra weeks? Which is no attitude to have when you intend to write 50k words in 30 days.

But YOU GUYS.

You know the Book That Just Won't End, Dang-it! that I have been slaving over for the past two years? Well, this baby is getting very close to query-ready and by golly, if I can break my fingers and push my brain to get it finished in the next 18 days, I will be so pumped... but until then, my NaNo plans are on hold.

And as I do not like to put my plans on hold, I am seriously pushing to finish this thing in 18 days so I can participate.

Now, the rational part of me says, "Oh heck no, this isn't possible! You still have two-thirds of this revision to sort through!"

But here's something to know about me. The irrational part of me is WAY MORE FUN and she's like, "I triple dog dare you!" and there is just no way I can back away from a triple dog dare.

Besides, if there is one thing that's really driving me to finish my WIP by Nov. 1st, it's the fact that I'm so sick of my current main character's indie Baroque and folk alternative music choices, and the music for my GLITTER-BLINGING NEW IDEA (which is way better than a Shiny New Idea, I'm telling ya) is so much more fun.

For those who are curious about my NaNo '11 music, here are my main drafting songs, which helped me set the tone, create the world and characters and sort out the plot of my book -







So, folks, I'm ready to throw off the emo-sounding tunes and bring on the awesome.

Who's with me? Any other NaNo-obsessed fools out there, ready for a month of sheer crazy? Let's harass each other with our daily updated word counts! You can find me {HERE}

And if I don't finish my current WIP in time, you are welcome to throw tomatoes at me and flaunt your word count. I promise to cheer you on!

xoxo,

19 comments:

DancingMooney said...

I don't write, but I know you get excited about this every year... so I hope you get everything done that you want between now and then so you can be in the groove! ;)

Laura Pauling said...

Awesome Marisa! Best of luck! and a month away will be good for the almost-ready-to-go novel!

Unknown said...

To quote an oldie song... 'Thank you for the music!!!' lol. Seriously, I love hearing what people listen to during Nano. :)

Meeling said...

So fun...wish you the best of luck!!

Sounds like it will be a month of awesome craziness!! ;-)

Unknown said...

Yes to the awesome craziness!!

thank you, thank you!!

and Lyn - me too!! I love knowing what art inspires others to create art! (especially when good music is involved!!)

:)

mshatch said...

I admire anyone who wants to try to write 50k in a month. I couldn't do it unless I didn't have a job.

Laura S. said...

Hi, Marisa! I'm here from Laura Pauling's blog. :) I LOVE NaNoWriMo! This will be my third year participating. I can't believe it's mid-October already. I'm still trying to decide which next idea I want to write for it! I better get on it because November will be here before we crazy writers know it. :) Can't wait!

I'm Sunshine21 if you'd like to find me and be NaNo buds! :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

Haha! I love that you triple dog dare yourself! Best of luck getting it done on time so you can have rabid writing craziness and pumpkin pie. :)

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

I'm not officially doing NaNo this year (because I hope to, um, launch a book on 11-1, which is totally crazy). BUT I seriously need to write about 50k in November ANYWAY. So yeah. I guess I'm in. :)

Hopped over from Laura P's blog! I'm a new follower!

Hart Johnson said...

I am TOTALLY with you! I LOVE NaNoWriMo, in fact my writing group does it again in June (BuNoWriMo--we are the Burrow). And one of the things I love second most (you know--after the writing like a maniac for a month) is that it is BRILLIANT as a deadline for getting somethign else off my plate. (I use ABNA this way, too)--Editing could suck YEARS from you if you'd let it, so a solid 'must be done by here' is (to me) the easiest way to let go.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I'm doing NaNo this year. I attempted it last year and got hung up. But this year I will persevere and triumph.

Please.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Weeee!!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Hi, Marisa! I hopped over from Laura Pauling's blog. Great to "meet" you! :-)

Unknown said...

I'm came over from Laura Pauling's blog. Nice to meet you. I usually do a revised version of Nano, and will do again this year. Basically I work on what I want, but use the nano energy to pump it out.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Oh you can totally do this.

Alyssa S. said...

Hmm, how did I miss this post? For the first time since I very first promised to play along two (or is it 3?) years ago, I finally feel prepared. I have my skeleton story line, though now I need to do research because my character is absolutely nothing like me and I need to get my head into who she is. WOO HOO! Bring it on.

Erica said...

So fun. I hope you get everything done that you want between now and then so you can be in the groove!

affordable insurance

Unknown said...

Marisa, I gave you an award on my blog http://www.katescottwrites.com/2011/10/blog-award.html

Unknown said...

Well...I'm basically 3 weeks behind in commenting on this (because I'm 3 weeks behind on google reader *sigh*)...but how did you do? Did you get revisions done? I had planned on finishing mine, but that simply didn't happen.

OH...and happy nano and pumpkin pie November!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...