Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dancing With My Muse

This video pretty much sums up the relationship I have with my muse right now. I finished a draft of a new book last week  - I should be able to rest, right? But my muse just won't stop screaming more book ideas at me. Last night, all I wanted to do was sleep, but she came dancing in, with her wacky little marching band. I tried to beat her off with my pillow, but she refused to let sleep happen.



When I did finally get to sleep at 4 AM, after scribbling my newer-than-new book idea for hours and hours upon hours, I was up bright and early, unable to do anything but listen to great music and scribble some more - I didn't even need coffee, which is saying a lot.

And I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT. Drafting is energizing! It's magical! It makes me feel so young, when the wear of life and kids manages to make me feel so old, sometimes.

Eventually the muse will flitter off, as she's prone to do, and I'm going to crash and burn (or maybe get to that trip-to-Paris blog post I keep meaning to write). But hopefully I'll have the best parts of this new WIP all figured out beforehand.

So tell me, folks - what's the creative process like for you?

Also, if you want to see a random (and fabulous) collection of inspiration for my newer-than-new work-in-progress (code name: G-Con) come say hello to my latest pin board: http://pinterest.com/marisa_hopkins/g-con-some-photo-musical-inspiration/

xoxo,


6 comments:

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Wow -- are you writing while you're still on vacation in Europe?

I also have a new idea dancing enticingly in my brain, even though I have a WIP to finish and a short story to write.

Julie Dao said...

The creative process is all ups and downs for me, but I guess the downs make the ups even more worthwhile :)

Unknown said...

Dianne - I AM!! A summer with my kids and without my hubs... writing is keeping me sane :)

Julie - THEY SO DO

Heather Kelly said...

I am trying to beat my muse off with a stick. I need to finish what I am doing first, before I start something new.

Even though I've already had a few great ideas for the next Big Writing Thing. :)

So glad you are writing through your summer!

Natalie C Parker said...

Oh, I found this song a few weeks ago. Wait. Did you send it to me? Or were we just on a similar wave length? In any case, I love the video....in a strange way. ;)

I also love that space you're describing - where your mind just can't sit quietly and therefore you can't really either. So energizing!

DancingMooney said...

My creative process is similar, sometimes I am overflowing with ideas, and other times the pot feels empty. So glad you are feeling refreshed and inspired lately Marisa!! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...