Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Flashback: Desperately Seeking Susan

I'm just gonna go ahead and say I love the movie Desperately Seeking Susan. Have you all seen this movie? If not, what are you waiting for! It's so quirky and cute and Madonna and Rosanna Arquette are awesome!

Here is the description from Amazon: Bored New Jersey housewife Roberta fills her days by reading the personal ads and following an ongoing romance between "Jim" and "Susan", a mysterious drifter who leads the kind of free-spirited life about which Roberta can only dream. And dream she does, until the day she actually shows up at the couple's prearranged rendezvous in New York City...and after a bump on the head, a bout of amnesia turns Roberta into Susan and opens the door to intrigue, laughter and love!

I love screwball comedies.

The other day I was talking awesome 80's fashion with my pal Alyssa, and mentioned I went to my Homecoming dance when I was seventeen dressed Madonna-like a la Desperately Seeking Susan and she said, "BLOG IT!"

Then, funnily enough, yesterday my pal Tina blogged her love for this movie, and how it influenced her 15-year-old self when it came to fashion. (Seriously, Tina, I love and adore you even more, if that's possible!)

Now, I wasn't about to rock the parachute pants and though my mom still had her leather pants from the 80's, which looked exactly like the pants Rosanna is sporting on the movie cover, I wasn't about to rock those either. So my mom helped me come up with a skirt alternative.

Costume shopping with my mom is so fun, you guys. We went to Victoria's Secret for a black lace body suit, black bra, and lacy thigh-highs. Hit up the Goodwill store for costume jewelry. Bought lace socks which I painted gold.

And the pièce de résistance: My pyramid jacket! (which my mom made)

Okay, so I don't quite look like Madonna... And I'm not sure how many people at my school had seen this movie (it came out 14 years before) because no one knew what the heck was going on with my outfit.

And the ticket collector took one look at me and said, "It's Cyndi Lauper!"
But whatever. That outfit was so totally me and I loved it.

You know what else I love? This song:



(which is in the movie)

So, Alyssa and Tina - what do you think? Did I do 80's Madonna-inspired fashion justice?

Have a flashback of your own to share? Join in the fun at Tia's blog!

Happy Friday, folks!

xoxo,

19 comments:

Alyssa S. said...

O.M.G. You are officially my most awesomest friend ever! That movie is so quintessential 80's and brings some of my favorite years flashing back. OK, so forget that I LIVED those years while you were a mere babe and that you were totally doing a throwback. LOOOOOOVVVEEEEE!

OurWanderingAdventures said...

PERFECT! Great job!

shibori girl said...

There it is: Vivid proof that you are a child of the '80's! You look darling in that outfit.

Kate

Anonymous said...

You were always so much fun to shop with and for! Desperately Seeking Susan is on Netflix play instantly - yay! I know what I'm doing tonight

Lulu Grey said...

You nailed the look! And how sweet your mom made the jacket for you!

I totally slept in a white tank and boxers forever because of that movie. And it started my huge crush on Aidan Quinn.

Going to put this back on my netflix queue.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I hope you still have that pyramid jacket! Yes, you did justice and then some! Fantastic! And so funny that when I went to school in my outfit they said, "It's Madonna!" And let me tell you that was not a compliment. But that just fueled my fire!

xoxox right back at you.

We may have a psychic connection what with sharing favorite authors and now this!

Emily said...

AMAZING! Obviously being a youngster of the 80's I too loved this movie. You rock the look quite well.

Colleen said...

I lived the 80's and I never rocked that style the way you did. Awesome!

Kelly Polark said...

OMG! I love it! I love it!
You look so Madonna girl! What a fun time for your mom and you to get that outfit together.
Even though I am a rock girl, I enjoy Madonna's songs!

Oh Mandie said...

How very 80's of you!! Not too many people can pull off the sheer bodysuit/black bra look, and you rocked it!!

Papa Don't Preach was always my favorite throwback Madonna song, no offence Desperetly Seeking Susan soundtrack :)

Erika Clark said...

Great outfit! Loved that movie too! I think my madonna flashback pics got *cough* lost. I was not nearly as stylish as you!

Unknown said...

Haha. You look great! I remember when girls everywhere tried to dress just like Madonna in that movie: the bustiers, black lace, cropped jackets and gloves, and bows in the hair. Gotta love 80s fashion!

Tia Colleen said...

omg. you could not possibly be more awesome, haha.

(I've somehow never seen the movie)

Meeling said...

OMG...you look fabulous!!
Homemade costumes like that are fantastic. You totally rocked the look...way cool!!


ps. I have a giveaway on my blog right now...make sure you pop by and enter. :-)

Kearsie said...

I could not love you any.more.

That's not true, exactly.

If you were standing on my doorstep with a cake, yellow with chocolate frosting, then I would love you more.

Also, I watched this movie approximately eleventy hundred times.

Unknown said...

You guys are all just so great. Thanks, and I'm so glad there's so many other Desperate Seeking Susan fans out there! :)

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

Hee! I was living the 80's too you young thing! You look great, thanks for that flash back :)

ali cross said...

You did NOT look like Cindi Lauper! No way! Definitely a Madonna-look for sure.

And, since I was IN high school smack in the middle of the 80's, I feel I am qualified to say that you totally passed the 80's test!

Anita said...

I love these outfits! Your mom is the best, making your pyramid jacket!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...